How to Build a Happy and Successful Career?
On average, productive people spend one-third of their life working in a profession. They will continue to work either for passion or survival. Do you want to spend that time feeling miserable or happy? No prizes for answering right. Happiness is a universal language that everyone can understand and relate to. Indian philosophy believes that happiness is a natural state of mind, and all individuals who have ever existed have had happiness as their ultimate goal in life. Happiness is a choice, not a destination. If you don’t choose to be happy, nothing else can make you one, and I would like to quote Abraham Lincoln, who said, “most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” Remember your happiness will not come from outside but can come only from you.
A happy individual can be a happy employee at his workplace and optimize his productivity and efficiency. The primary responsibility of happiness at work lies with the employees themselves. A happy employee is inseparable from his passion and joyous nature, which he carries to the workplace.
Benefits of being a happy employee
• Happiness and wellness go together, making us feel good and do good. It ensures an individual stay healthy and optimally productive.
• Happiness is a guide that helps us in living appropriately, to make apt choices, and progress in the right direction.
• Happiness increases your confidence, self-esteem, and your engagement with the world. In turn, better social engagement leads to better coping skills and emotionally satisfying and rewarding personal relationships.
•Happiness encourages you to transcend your limits, seek new goals, and pursue higher rewards, which enables you to have a successful career and sustain it in the long run.
• Happiness and the quality of life we lead have a direct correlation. According to a study done, happy people possess specific positive characteristics like being adaptive, optimistic, and resilient, which ensures that they stay on course to achieve their goals.
• Happy people also tend to be people-oriented and manage their personal and professional relationships well.
• Happy people show higher initiative and enthusiasm in accomplishing their tasks or resolving problems and conflicts.
• As happy people usually remain more positive compared to others, they are more likely to succeed in their professions, and consequently, earn a higher income.
In short, you need happiness to feel good about yourself, to succeed in life, for good health, to relate better with the world, live for right purposes and causes, experience fulfilment and inner satisfaction of leading a meaningful life.
How to find happiness at work?
I would want you to consider some of the following aspects to find and enhance happiness in your career.
• Don’t let others decide what career choice is best for you. You choose.
• Be enthusiastic about learning and developing both personally and professionally
• Don’t ignore your mistakes, and make sure you learn from them
• Be a good and responsive team player
• Build healthy relationships with your colleagues
• Don’t compare and have no bitterness with your teammates
• Express your concerns objectively and if required don’t hesitate to seek help
• Avoid negativity and gossiping about your teammates
• Plan your schedule according to the day’s priorities
• Be open to help your teammates as when required
• Be sure before you commit to others.
• Some claim ignorance is bliss, but not always. Be aware of what’s happening around you at your workplace
• Develop professional courage to put forth your views and opinions
How to sustain happiness at work?
I want you to know that happiness is not the destination but the journey itself. Happiness is unconditional and is certainly not tied to your level of income or your designation or the amount of wealth you might have accumulated. At the start of the career, people will have some goals to achieve, and let me caution those; don’t wait till you achieve your goal to be happy. Enjoy every moment of your life’s journey, put your best possible efforts, focus on putting the right process in place, rest of the things will surely fall in place. As soon as you achieve your first milestone, the next one shall be waiting in the wings and bound to swoop in and quickly replaces your initial goal. Remember, this process repeats itself after every time you accomplish a goal. And there is no way of making sure that achieving an objective will enhance your happiness. After climbing a peak and enjoying the success, you have to come down and prepare yourself for another summit. So, enjoy your journey as much you celebrate the success of your efforts. It’s your life and your career, choose to be happy and cheerful.