Let us understand the advantages offered by each board, which helps in making an informed decision on the choice of Board.
Advantages of State Boards
- Usually taught in state language or state language is part of the curriculum
- Moderately loaded curriculum giving options for kids to explore more extracurricular activities like sports and music
- Affordable fees
- Kids can blend well with local language & culture
- More reserved seats for higher education within the state-recognized colleges
- Though the quality of education was suspect, the introduction of the NCERT syllabus is taking care of quality concerns.
Advantages of Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE)
- More diversity in schools as students are from various backgrounds
- Quality of syllabus is good
- Primary focus on Science and Mathematics HG
- Aspirants for national level Engineering and Medical entrance exams have an edge as these exams are primarily based on NCERT syllabus followed by CBSE
- Numerous talent search examinations and scholarship exams questions, held at the local and national level, are based on CBSE syllabus
Advantages of Indian Certificate of Secondary Education (ICSE)
- The board provides adequate training for international competitive exams
- The course curriculum is broad, covering a range of topics to explore the overall interests of students.
- The subject selection options available encourages students to follow their interests in a particular subject.
- For children who learn better with practice than theory, and can hone their Analytical skills
- For parents whose careers demand them to go around India & abroad, it becomes convenient in shifting schools
- For parents who want their kids to study overseas, as it is certified by Cambridge International Examinations (CIE)
Advantages of National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS)
- Students from remote locations with little or no access to the formal system of schooling can study in open schools.
- Students can study at their own pace
- It is increasingly becoming a popular option for parents looking at Home Schooling for their kids
Advantages of Cambridge International Examination (CIE)
- Children can learn much better with practice than theory
- Parents planning to go abroad or wanting to send their children abroad to study
- It is an International Board recognized by most of the Universities of the world.
- It offers a more advanced curriculum and a variety of subjects to choose from.
- More emphasis on English and Technical Subjects
Advantages of International Baccalaureate (IB)
- Innovative curriculum based on experimentation and application
- Innovative and stress-free teaching methods
- It is an international Board recognized by most of the Universities of the world.
- The best option if parents are NRI’s and are planning to move abroad.
- Uniform importance is given to both academics and extracurricular activities to ensure the holistic development of the kid.
So, how do you select a board that would work the best for your kid? The answer lies in having a fair understanding of your kid’s higher educational goals. A significant factor to consider is the board’s ability to prepare students for future possibilities of higher education. Giving students the required tools and techniques that help compete on a global platform, is a necessity today, to ensure they are future-ready. Good schools are fundamental to provide a sound platform for the kids to realize their full potential and be successful in their future endeavours.
No one can be more concerned about your child’s future than you. None else will be more bothered to see that your child is well educated and well treated in school. You know your kid’s personality, strengths, and weaknesses, the interests that light up your child’s eyes, and the values that your family wants a school to respect. Choosing the right school will give you the confidence that she will be taught effectively and treated fairly. Meticulously choosing your child’s school is critical in helping her achieve all that she can. It’s your responsibility to strengthen her wings so that she can fly in the direction of her choice and soar as high as possible. This decision is a combination of head and heart, so find the right balance. To sum up, I would like to give a step by step guide in making the right choice of school for your little one.
Before you start scouting for the right school, decide on the Board of education, and make a list of essential factors that you prefer to be part of the school.
Step-1: Consider your child’s needs, learning style, and location of the school.
Step-2: Gather crucial information about the school in terms of Curriculum, Approach to learning, Academic performance, Behaviour policy, Safety, Extracurricular activities, Facilities & services, and Admission procedure.
Step-3: Visit, observe & understand few things like School culture, Principal’s philosophy about education, Teachers’ attitude towards students, Student feedback, Parent & Community Involvement, and finally, the reputation of the school.
Step-4: Shortlist a few schools according to your preference and apply for admissions.