Navadhanyam is a rich source of Vitamins, minerals, protein, fats, and carbohydrates that support healthy digestion and enhances immunity. Worshipping Gods and Goddesses with offerings is a common ritual in Hinduism, as food is considered as Bramham, or supreme. One such inevitable part of Hindu pujas and rituals, Navadhanyam (nine sacred grains) is offered to the nine grahas or planets on auspicious occasions like Navarathri and griha pravesham (house warming), is also important in Ayurveda as a potent health mix.
Read the Nava and Navaratri – Part 3 here
Navadhanyam and their respective cosmic influences are:
- Wheat: Offered to Sun known as Godhuma, is an alleviator of vitiated Vata dosha, is sweet, cold in potency, invigorating, aphrodisiac, unctuous, bestows strength and stability, laxative, unites fractures and heavy.
- Rice: Offered to Moon. Rice is mentioned in Ayurveda literature as sweet with astringent after taste, unctuous and aphrodisiac, nourishing, light, and diuretic.
- Toor dal: Offered to Mars. Pigeon pea or Toor dal is dry, light to digest, improves complexion and increases Vata dosha.
- Chickpeas: Offered to Jupiter. Described as chanaka, chickpeas are light, sweet with astringent after taste, cold in potency and unctuous. Chickpeas are low in fat, a good source of antioxidants, and proteins
- Moong beans: Offered to Mercury .Moong bean is described as mudga in Ayurveda and is light, cold in potency and alleviator of Kapha and Pitta dosha. It bestows a clear vision and provides nourishment to tissues
- White beans: Offered to Venus. White beans increase Vata dosha, breastmilk and are heavy, laxative and destroys toxins. White beans are rich in folates, iron, magnesium, potassium and vitamin B.
- Black sesame: Offered to Saturn Black sesame, mentioned as Til and is hot, good for skin, is a hair tonic, and strength promoting. It improves memory retention, increases digestive power, Kapha and Pitta dosha.Black sesame is a good source of energy and healthy polyunsaturated fatty acids. It is rich in fiber, iron, calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus.
Two satellite planets (Upagrahas)
- Indian black lentil: Offered to Rahu Black lentil is known as masha in Ayurveda is an aphrodisiac, alleviates vitiated Vata dosha, hot in potency, sweet, heavy and promotes strength.Black lentil is rich in protein, fat and Vitamin B and aids in digestion because of high fiber content. It improves skin health and improves circulation due to its high potassium levels.
Horse gram: Offered to Kethu. Horse gram or Kulattha is hot in potency, astringent in taste, and alleviates vitiated Kapha and Vata dosha. It is beneficial in cough, hiccup, dyspnoea, piles, calculi, and rhinitis.Horse gram is a known diuretic and antioxidant-rich legume, which is also rich in proteins and Vitamins. It is low in calories, high in fiber and thus aids in weight loss and better digestion.